Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 6 month old papillon started limping almost 2 days now

Customer Question
Hello! My 6 month old...
Hello! My 6 month old papillon started limping almost 2 days now and he is holding his left paw up but he still walks around like nothing is wrong but refuses to put pressure on the left paw
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/23/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Dave, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian

Hello, and thanks for writing in. I'm sorry to hear this is going on with Cooper...

There are many possible reasons for the limping, including a broken toenail (some are VERY subtle, and can be up under the skin, making it difficult to find), soft tissue injury (sprain, strain, pulled muscle, bruise, etc.), or a dislocation or fracture. Some dogs will limp when they hurt, but will not show any other symptoms (i.e. whining, crying, etc.), even if the painful area is manipulated...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did cut his nails about a week ago and did get to close and he did start bleeding a little bit but that was it. Then I left for vacation and came home last night to see him limping

Thanks for that information. I doubt cutting the nails too short would cause limping at this time, especially since the nail trim was done a week ago (even if the you did cut too far back) - usually that will cause limping right away, but it goes away after 12-24 hours.

Since it's been going on for 2 days now, it would be best to have Cooper examined by a veterinarian, in order to see what the underlying problem is, and to get appropriate treatment, especially since the holiday is coming up, and most clinic are going to be closed for a couple days. It would be best to get Cooper treated now, as opposed to having to wait another few days.

If you are not able to get him examined, I would recommend restricting his activity for the next couple days. You can ice the affected leg (use an ice pack or ice cubes wrapped in a towel, and hold it on the leg for a few minutes at a time) - you can do this a few times a day - this may help with some pain and inflammation.

I would not recommend any human pain relievers, especially in such a small dog, because they can have some serious side effects. The only pain relievers I would recommend for Cooper are ones that are made specifically for dogs - they are more effective, and much safer.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if I can assist you and Cooper further.

Dr. Dave

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you! I will let you know the results when we bring him in!

Great! I'm glad to hear you are going to get Cooper looked at.

I hope everything goes well.

I hope you and Cooper have a very Merry Christmas!

Dr. Dave

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cooper. How is everything going?
David Janssen
Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian