Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 22 lb pug, 8 yrs old, is under care /bradycardia/ heart

Customer Question

My 22 lb pug, 8 yrs old, is under care for arrhythmia/bradycardia/ heart block .
He is on thyroxine and enalapril 5 mg daily. At vet today- seen for change in cough. CXR and blood work done. Has no CHF but still cardiomegaly and WBC 20. He just started Augmenting and should have been given prednisone 2 1/2 mg. My daughter inadvertently gave him the antibiotic and crushed 5mg Valium, which he used to take for severe anxiety. I handed her the wrong vial.
Now that he has taken these I am worried about severe effects of benzo. Can one pill of 5mg cause severe problems?
Should we still give him prednisone.
I'm really nervous that he could stop breathing although I know he has had Valium before with his condition. I was careless and hope nothing terrible will occur. I'm watching closely. Should I try to induce vomiting? I don't think that is advisable. Just concerned about the pug .
Thanks
Amy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If he is 22lbs, this is a 0.5mg/kg dose of Valium. It is a low end normal dose for his size. Therefore, we could see some sedation (or some dogs do become agitated, though less likely if he has had this before) with this.

In regards ***** ***** to do here, it will depend on how profoundly this has sedated him in the past. Considering the dose itself I wouldn't expect much sedation and therefore would feel that this was an acceptable dose to just monitor him with. That said, if we want to err on the side of caution without inducing vomiting (or you know that previous doses have really sedated him), we can choose to treat with activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce any risk of signs from this. Do note it will bind any drugs he has had in the past 30 minutes and it will bind any for the next 2 hours. So, while he can still have his Prednisone, we'd want to give it 2 hours after we have treated with the activated charcoal if you choose to use that.

Overall, this is a low dose of Valium and we'd not expect harm from this. It could cause some sedation but it shouldn't cause any other issue. So, we can monitor here with your lad. Of course, if you know from the past that he is very sensitive to that medication, then we can use the activated charcoal to just head off its potential effects.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. In past he was not very sedated. Now he seems ok and not out if it. I have activated charcoal. If there is any doubt I will use it. I'll watch him carefully and hope he responds as he usually does.
I put the Valium in a different area so I won't be brain dead easily again.
Happy holidays. Your info is helpful to us.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

If he hasn't been very sedated in the past with this, then that lessens our concern here. Otherwise, that sounds like a perfect plan of action and just to note, activated charcoal does tend to be of benefit up to 8 hours post exposure (it won't stop what has been absorbed but can be used if he seems sedate in the next hour or so to limit any further uptake).

Take care & happy holidays to you too,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again. Cedric the pug is fine. His awful cough has diminished in frequency and intensity. I think what worried me most was his vet was going to give him hydrocodone for cough but decided it may add to his bradycardia. He had benzo in past, before bradycardia diagnosed, with no problem. I feel so responsible for him, like I did with my own kids when they were small. He is my 5th and last perennial toddler, despite his age.
Your fast reply and thoroughness are amazing. I've already spread the word about this service. It is very needed!
Happy holidays
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your kind words, we all do the best we can for everyone's pets here. :)

As well, I know just what you mean since our wee ones do rely on us to ensure they are well taken care of. :)

Anyway, I am very glad to hear that Cedric hadn't any issue with the Valium and wish you both a lovely holiday.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Amy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cedric. How is everything going?
nekovet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

** Please remember to rate my service when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)