Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog got into the garbage and ate a few grilled chicken

Customer Question

My dog got into the garbage and ate a few grilled chicken cutlets that I had thrown out that might have been going bad. What harm might come of this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How old is he? Seems a silly question, but he is less likely to get pancreatitis if he is young and eating garbage can cause pancreatitis.

Likely he will be fine; dogs digestive tracts are pretty tough and dogs eat some really awful things at times. He may develop some diarrhea. If he stops eating, and/or starts vomiting, that might indicate something more serious. How long ago did he eat the chicken? If he is doing OK 24 to 48 hours after eating the cutlets he is probably not going to have a problem. Let me know what other questions you have and how he is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see what I wrote. Please let me know if I can help with anything else or if you have more questions.

Kindly consider rating my answer; that helps me! That way the website knows to credit me for my answer. You can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. I hope he does OK, odds are he probably will.