Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 4 year old Siberian Husky just ate a poisonous frog and

Customer Question
started foaming at the mouth...
My 4 year old Siberian Husky just ate a poisonous frog and started foaming at the mouth. I got him home and rinsed his mouth with water and he seems to be acting fine now. He has never done this before, he has put his mouth on them but never eaten one. His weight is 52 pounds.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/23/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he eat it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
about 20 minutes ago.

Thank you,

Now if it has been so recent, it would be ideal to induce vomiting with Damain. That way we can get the bulk of this out of his system and then take steps to bind any residual toxin. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

Afterwards, since the toxins tend to be in the skin of the frog, we'd want to cover our bases and bind any lingering toxin with activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, we do want to keep a close eye on him. Further to the signs you have seen, we need to monitor for discomfort, red/inflamed gums and tongue, paling of the gums, difficulty breathing, wobbliness, tremors, fever, seizures, or complete collapse. Any of those signs and we'd want him seen urgently for further symptomatic care +/- IV fluids.

Overall, you are right to have rinsed his mouth and to be proactive. Since it has been 20 minutes, we can get this frog back out of his stomach by inducing vomiting and counter toxin with activated charcoal to limit the chance of harm here for him.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or

www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no phone call needed. Thank you.

No worries about that,

All the best,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Damian. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian