Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My granddog ate some cookie dough and some plastic wrap.

Customer Question

My granddog ate some cookie dough and some plastic wrap. He's spit up a couple of times and is drinking lots of water
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I can understand Tank drinking in that manner because of the dough's salt content. You don't have to worry about the dough expanding in his stomach because stomach acid kills the yeast which ordinarly expands the dough. My primary concern is the plastic wrap. Hopefully he chewed it into pieces. Wrap can obstruct the small intestine. You need to watch for signs of obstruction - persistent vomiting and/or anorexia. Adding a tablespoon of psyllium seed (Metamucil) to each of next 3 meals should have a bulk laxative effect and help move the wrap through his GI tract. If vomiting persists don't hesitate to have Tank's abdomen X-rayed for his vet to examine how well his GI tract is moving the plastic through Tank.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tank. How is everything going?