Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Let me begin by thanking the Vets, who are so kind to answer

Customer Question

Let me begin by thanking the Vets, who are so kind to answer the questions of worried pet owners.
And now to my question:
I have an 8 year old Boxer who is healthy and muscular. I take her to Central Park every weekend (Sat & Sun) where it's off-leash before 9:00 A.M. She runs like the wind...for about 90 minutes.
A few months ago, she jumped a fence and her rear legs hit the fence, but she seemed ok. Over the last few months, once she gets home and lays down, she'll get up and will have her rear right leg in the air for a few minutes and slowly puts it down, and eventually walks around normally. I took her to our Vet and they did an x-ray and it appeared everything was ok. But it seems that her condition is worsening, in that she'll limp on days she hasn't run. again, after she lays down for a while. The Vet said to give her Welactin and I did, but it hasn't helped. Friends have told me they think I should get an MRI. Should I?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear what happened to Maggie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

It is good that an Xray was normal. That rules out a broken bone, but does not tell us much about the joints, ligaments, cartilage, tendons, muscles, or the soft tissue of the leg. Was your vet able to determine if the problem was in the foot, the knee, the hip or her lower back?

An MRI might be a good idea; it is a good way to look at soft tissue, but you first want to localize where the problem is. One of the most common injuries in the back leg is to partially or fully tear the ACL, the anterior cruciate ligament in the knee joint. If I could, I would compare her right knee to her left to see if there is any difference or swelling in the right knee. I would check all the joints, and compare each with the opposite normal leg.

Has any pain medication been tried? Does it help at all?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see my answer. Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else, and if this was helpful.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ana,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Maggie. How is everything going?