Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Can a dog take ceftibuten

Customer Question
can a dog take ceftibuten
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/22/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

What is wrong with your dog that you want to give him ceftibuten?

This antibiotic is not commonly used in dogs, but there are published doses for using it. It will help to know what illness or infection you are treating.

a female infection she weighs 86 pounds
the vet treated her for it but i forgot to give her the last two pills

What do you mean, a female infection?

Did your vet treat the infection with ceftibuten? Is the infection still there?

If she has an infection of her uterus, called a pyometra, antibiotics alone may not be able to clear the infection no matter what antibiotic you are using. What part of her reproductive tract is infected?

she was just treated for heart worms two weeks ago on saturday and sunday
he did not say he did not check it he saw a fluid liquid come out mostly clear with just a tinge of white in it

Oh, dear, heartworms, too! She has a lot of problems.

If she is on antibiotics and now you want to switch her to ceftibuten, I would recommend continuing the original antibiotic, or checking with her veterinarian. Ceftibuten is not a common antibiotic in veterinary medicine. I would use the original antibiotic until the infection is better.

Is she spayed? I would also ask your veterinarian if she has a pyometra, an infection of the uterus. This usually needs to be treated with a non antibiotic medication called prostaglandins, to flush the pus out of the uterus. The other treatment is to spay her if she is not spayed.

Can I help with or answer anything else?

How is your dog doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian