Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is a rescue from the animal shelter and is only 5

Customer Question
months old. He has developed...
My dog is a rescue from the animal shelter and is only 5 months old. He has developed a cough-like symptom that gags him and almost makes him throw up. Please advise.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/22/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

How long has it been since Carlos was in the shelter? Infectious tracheobronchitis ("kennel cough") if the most common cause of his gagging cough which usually arises 3-10 days after exposure to the infectious agents of kennel cough - Bordetella bronchiseptica bacteria and the parainfluenza virus, mainly. This infection is self-limiting within 3 weeks in the great majority of cases. I rarely treat with antibiotics unless my patient doesn't improve within the initial 7 days of being symptomatic or, indeed, worsens.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He has been out of the shelter for over a week now and this popped up a couple of days ago. So you're telling me this should just pass? Thank you

Thank you. Yes, kennel cough, then. Yes, a dog of his age should recover unaided within 3 weeks. If you didn't see appreciable improvement within the first week, have his vet take a look at Carlos. Less commonly, canine influenza (which can look just like kennel cough) can be present and that virus often will cause pneumonia in dogs. Avoid over the counter cough suppressants because they lack efficacy in dogs. If my patient is badly coughing, I'll prescribe a narcotic cough suppressant instead. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This service is awesome. Thank you so much.

Thank you for your kind words. You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian