How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 20580
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a large 90# lab mix that ate at some point today

Customer Question

Hi. I have a large 90# ***** mix that ate at some point today while I was at work a decorated gingerbread house. When I came home at 5pm he seemed fine other than really exited to see me and a couple bouts of diarrhea, his RR seemed a little faster than normal but honestly I have never counted his before and other than all the water in his bowl and toilet was gone he seemed fine. I feed him dinner (only half) and he ate it fine. I left for abut two hours to get a rug doctor. It's 8 now and I've been home an hour and have noticed that he is very ataxic when walking, his hind legs keep giving out and he can't walk straight, and is peeing frequently (he did drink a lot of water and I refilled his bowl which I probably should not have). He is still his playfully self and wants me to pet him like normal. He has never even diagnosed as diabetic but can dogs develop DKA as a first sign of sugar overdose? My only other thought would be dilution from all the water. I don't see anything else he got into. He is 9.5 years, had food bloat a year ago and had his stomach tacked, and two months ago he had surgery again for rocks and a peach pit in his stomach..... he is acting fine and does not seem to be in pain or nauseated
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is basically acting like a happy drunk.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Dogs won't usually develop DKA if not diabetic. That said, we can see electrolyte imbalances secondary to high sugar intake and that can trigger all he signs we are seeing. (As well as these signs if he has had any chocolate, raisins/grapes, or xylitol with this). Therefore, we need to tread with care. If he has had access to those other ingredients I noted, then we'd be in an urgent situation and want to have him seen. If we only have a sugar exposure, then we can monitor but will want to consider offering an electrolyte solution (ie Resorb, Lectaid, Pedialyte) to try and rebalance him a bit. Of course, if his signs are severe and he isn't settled, then we'd again want him seen so IV fluids can be given to rebalance his electrolytes and address his fluid losses from the diarrhea.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an emergency vet, you can check @ or

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply! He did have and chocolate, raisins, or xylitol. It was all pretty much straight sugar. I've been feeding him small amounts of broth, soaked kibble, and some banatrol over night. He has no problem eating.... but he is a lab and I don't think they are that smart (-: his diarrhea is improving, not peeing as frequently l, and no longer guzzling water. His gait is getting better and no longer running into the wall and furniture. He is still a little unsteady on the tile vs carpet and his hips seem a little weak but I think it's more exhaust from earlier in the evening (he is old and his hips already bother him after long walks or extensive playing). But, I'm going to make an appointment with his vet once they open.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

I am hoping that was a mistype and that he didn't have those worrisome things. I assume so since the settling of those signs are all positive.

In any case, labs are notorious for eating things they should not have. I don't think its a case of lacking smarts but instead being driven by their love of food. Anyway, it sounds like he is improving so we can be cautiously optimistic that this will all settle down but that vet check is perfect. Otherwise, just to note, if he sees nauseous, you can try him with Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ Zantac (More Info/Dose @ As well, you can also give him rice with boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, or cottage cheese alongside the broth. All of those are easy to digest and easy on the stomach and gut.

Otherwise, just since you noted hip issues and Astro is an older lad, I did want to just mention some OTC supportive care that could help with that (though its of course worse at the moment with our sugar overdose situation). Specifically, we can find glucosamine/chondroitin helpful for dogs with arthritis. This is a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores(as capsules, liquids, and even treats). It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight. As well, Astro could also benefit from the natural anti-inflammatory properties of Omega 3 + 6 (EPA + DHA) fish oils. Again this can be purchased over the counter at vets, pet stores, and health food stores. If you did want to try this for him, we tend to give a dose equal to 20mg per pound of their body weight. So, this would be another supportive measure you could consider for him. Of course, we'd want to get over this upset first but those would be worth considering in the future for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.


If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as thisis how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was a typo. He didn't not consume any of those items. Yes, he does love food. All types of food! He is doing much better today. We even went to the dog park and he played some. He is my first lab and I rescued him from the animal shelter about two years ago so we are still learning a lot about each other. Thanks for the suggestions. He has been on pepcid since his first surgery but will try some of the other supplements. When I first found him he wasn't even able to get into the car or walk around the block and now we can go about 2-4 miles a day depending on how he is doing so I am sure they will help. He loves the dog park and the puppies their so it would be good to try them. Anyway, no more gingerbread houses this holiday season and the rest of the food is being locked up. Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I had suspect that was the case, but did just want to make sure since those are our dangerous food items.

I am glad to hear he is better today and do think the joint supplements will be of benefit once we are over this wee scare. Otherwise, I am glad to hear that the gingerbread is our of reach and he won't be able to get up to any more mischief here. :)

Happy holidays to you both,

Dr. B.


If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.** Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as thisis how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Astro. How is everything going?