Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our dog ate 1/2 lb of peppermint bark. What do you suggest?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Can you please tell me if there was chocolate in the peppermint bark and if so how much/ what type? Lastly how long ago did this occur?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

And how much does your dog weigh as well

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

If your dog weighs more than 40 pounds and it has chocolate that is milk or white then you may see mild to moderate gi upset with this ingestion which may include

Your dog may have the following symptoms:

• Vomiting
  • GI Upset
  • Hyper Tension
  • Hyperactivity
  • Restlessness

If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

Otherwise monitoring at this point is advised but if your dog is <40 pound and/ or this ingestion contained dark chocolate than I would consider a veterinary er or inducing vomiting if < 1 hour

I hope this information makes sense and apologize if you are having issues with the chat format and ability to chat today...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I am online another 30 minutes if I can be of any further assistance to you both. I hope my information was helpful and your dog is doing alright tonight

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!