brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

My dog is 3 and has a real odor problem with her skin. she

Customer Question

my dog is 3 and has a real odor problem with her skin. she is prone to yeast infections on her paws and face, which I have under control. The odor is from her skin, but she has no dry spots, dandruft and is as perfect as can be on all her skin. she was just groomed two days ago and she smells already. could it be sweat because she played all day with another dog yesterday. I used earthbath tea tree and aloe shampoo and zymox conditioner.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

You are absolutely right, most odors are due to yeast overgrowth. It's good that you are working so diligently to control the problem, but I am suspicious that she still may have some in difficult to treat areas such as the nail fold.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Your vet can check for ongoing yeast problems using a tape prep on her skin, and also scraping along the nail fold. Both can then be examined on a glass slide on a microscope.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

If we continue to find yeast in spite of the topical regimen, I would strongly consider using an oral antifungal (ketoconazole). This is available by prescription only, and it is not without potential for side effects. I would not use it without first confirming that there is ongoing yeast growth.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Aside from that, I would switch your shampoo to a chlorhexidine and antifungal product such as Douxo Chlorhexidine PS.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek. Here is my website if you need to reach me again: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drsusanfriend/