Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My4 year old lhasa apso past 8 months has had on and off

Customer Question

My4 year old lhasa apso for the past 8 months has had on and off diarrhea. We had taken him for his annual visit to the vet some time ago she did fecal test all was OK. In between the bouts of diarrhea his stools are fine. Is appetite is good and he runs around and plays all the time. He is a very anxious dog, he was rescued from a shelter at approx 9 months, I make his food. He gets boiled chicken rice some pumpkin canine omega 3's and a probiotic. I am not sure what else to do or what is causing these episodes can I use immodium the dog is 18 lbs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When will you get back to me Do you need my phone number
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow my speaking with customers by phone in this venue. Please stay in this conversation if you wish. Yes, Immodium (loperamide) can be helpful for occasional diarrhea at a dose of 0.1 mg/lb and repeated in 8-12 hours as need be. I would presumptively treat such a patient with the over the counter anthelminthic fenbendazole (Panacur) for 7 consecutive days in case occult gastrointestinal parasitism exists. Fenbendazole is effective against all of the nematodes - roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms - as well as the protozoan Giardia. You can find it in a nearby pet/feed store. A food intolerance would be unlikely because his diarrhea isn't chronic but, instead, intermittent. Because chicken can be an offending food allergen in dogs (the most common of the offending food allergens are beef, chicken, corn, wheat, eggs, rice, and soy), however, testing more rigorously for food intolerance isn't unreasonable.

Food intolerance/allergy is addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that his immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from his vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra (a hydrolyzed protein diet is my preference). A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen. Food intolerance can arise at any age and even after our patient has been eating the same food for quite some time.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. If you'd like a balanced home cooked recipe containing both chicken and rice please let me know and I'll post it for you here.