Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our little Maltese (14years old) has laboured breathing. She

Customer Question
Our little Maltese (14years old)...
Our little Maltese (14years old) has laboured breathing. She has a heart condition and is on Vetmedin 1.25mg chews, half twice daily. She also takes 1/2 a Fortekor once a day but sometimes I give her 1/2 if she has a cough. It has been extremely hot these last two days and that obviously isn't helping her.
What can I do to help her apart wait till the morning and take her to our local vet. We are in Gisborne, Victoria.
I await your response.
Thank you.
Pam XXX
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm sorry, please cancel my subscription. I am in Tasmania, Australia and not USA. Thank you.
12/20/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning Pam and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It really does not matter where you are, Pam, because this disease is the same any where. There does come a time when the medication cannot keep up with the severeity of the Congestive Heart Failure but I do not believe that your sweet girl is at this point. The one thing that is missing is a diuretic such as Lasix that will draw off the fluid that is being produced in the chest due to the heart disease. Ask your vet to add a diuretic to help your girl and ease her breathing issues. This can be very effective Pam and worth a try.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian