Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My maltese is usually very active. On wednesday night he was

Customer Question
Customer: my maltese is usually...
Customer: my maltese is usually very active. On wednesday night he was holding his L hind let up and not putting much pressure on it with walking. I checked for foreign objects, but nothing. He is not even complaining of pain on that side. Tonight he seems withdrawn and moving slowly with still a painful looking gait on the left. We notice redness/bluing with the R abdomen. He has also been shaking a little. We are concerned. Any thoughts? No trauma noted. He seems more weak in the L side than anything else.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is a little overweight, history of diarrhea/vomiting about 2 months ago that we related to a diet change. No problems since the diet change (dry food- can food- back to dry food). He seem a little lethargic, he does not want to go outside. No problems with bowel or bladder
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/20/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 1 year ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

The hindleg limp is of particular concern.

The most common injury for a hindleg is a cruciate ligament tear in the knee.

But, that is less concerning than this redness/bruising you are describing. That would have to suggest to me that some type of trauma or hypersensitivity reaction (like an insect bite/sting occurred), or a possible bleeding disorder.

Any way I look at this question, I would strongly advise a vet visit immediately. You need to know the condition of that hindleg, and what is going on with the skin. A bleeding disorder can become very serious in a matter of hours to just a few days.

I would also try to confirm that no trauma did occur, but it is a interesting coincidence to see the irregular skin bruising and have a bad limp on the hindleg acutely present on the same time.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director