Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is acting very strange. Her tail is between her legs

Customer Question
Hello. My dog is acting...
Hello. My dog is acting very strange. Her tail is between her legs and she is panting and drooling. She is 12 years old and her heart seems to be racing. She also is trying to get as close to me as she can. Mix breed. About 30/35 pounds
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/20/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Are you still looking for assistance? Any vomiting or diarrhea? Do you know if she ate anything unusual?

She did not eat anything unusual. Has not vomitted or had diarrhea.
She seems to be scared or something. Lots of pacing. Can't sit still anywhere. And panting/drooling

Okay thanks for the additional information. Is she interested in eating anything. Does she seem in pain anywhere? Will she let you press on her spine or move her neck in a normal range of motion? Many dogs who show signs that you are describing are usually in extreme pain or discomfort somewhere.

How does her gums look? Are they pink ? Will she let you press on her abdomen without resistance.

She does not seem to be in pain and will let me press her abdomen and feel her heart race
Gums are pink but there are dark spots near her teeth

Has she has any history of anxiety episodes? Any loud noises? Any major changes in the environment noted? Since she does not seem in pain, I wondering if something frightened her or is causing her to be anxious. How long has this been going on for?

She was a rescue who was abused. She has some minor anxiety in the past. Envinment changed a little in that she has a new bed and house got re arranged slightly for x mas. Maybe that is it

How long have you had her for ? You can confirm that it is due to anxiety if you treat her for it and her signs improve. One option that you have for treating for anxiety is a product called Adaptil. It comes as a collar or a diffuser which releases a pheromone that can help some dogs with anxiety. Otherwise if the anxiety is not easing, then I recommend that she is check out by a veterinarian to make sure it is not due to a medical condition. Also the veterinarian may be able to prescribe an anti-anxiety medication as well.

I will give that a try. If there is no improvement I will take her to the vet early next week

Okay let me know if you have any further questions and let me know how she does.

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian