Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

Could anal gland cancer cause the same black stools?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help with your question about Lexie.

I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

It appears you are not currently online and available to discuss your question with me. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you. I will OPT OUT now so your question will be available for other experts when you return online.
Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog. How long has your dog had black stools for?

There could be some bleeding with anal gland cancer that would result in blood in the stool, we would expect this blood to be red or maroon in color usually, however, because it is occurring very close to the end of the digestive tract. Black discoloration of the stool makes us worry about bleeding further up in the digestive tract, such as in the stomach. The blood turns black or dark and tarry in color as it is digested.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

We can see changes in the color of the stool if the diet has been changed recently and there are colors or dyes in the food that could affect stool color. If she has recently switched foods, this is possible. Or has been getting treats that may be colored.

Otherwise, I would let your veterinarian know about the change in stool color and you can even drop a sample off for them to look at. They may recommend doing a blood test to ensure there isn't evidence of severe bleeding in the intestinal tract, and they may prescribe some gastroprotective medications.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question today. Thank you and good luck.