Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 12b Havanese swallowed 0.4mg of IC Tamsulosin

Customer Question
my 12b Havanese swallowed 0.4mg of IC Tamsulosin
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/19/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she eat this?

15 minutes ago
did you get this response?

Thank you,

Now the good news is that this is a drug that we do use in dogs, so this is not an outright poisoning. As well, the dose, she has had is within the safety range for her size. Therefore, the risk of harm is low here. Though just to note, adverse signs we can see with this include lethargy, wobbliness, low blood pressure and elevated heart rates.

In this situation, we have a few options. You can choose to monitor her for the next 24 hours or you can choose to err on the side of caution by inducing vomiting or treating with activated charcoal.

To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Overall, this dose is a mid range dose for her size and the risk of harm is low. Therefore, we can use the above just in case or plan to monitor her for those signs I noted over the next 24 hours.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian