Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My chihuahua, 8 lbs may have ate one of my norco 10/325 will

Customer Question
My chihuahua , 8 lbs...
My chihuahua , 8 lbs may have ate one of my norco 10/325 will she be ok:( oh as on counter when making her food and it's gone. I have been working 16 her days all will on extreme pain and I am tired. I may have taken it but don't remember. I am so worroed
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/19/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she potentially eat this?

How is she just now?

Is there acetaminophen in this?

30 minutes ago , I actually have two chihuahuas same size. I just gave them treats and was playing with them and they're both wagon tails and seem alert. I am so upset about this
The Internet says there is acetaminophen in it, but I do not know. It is a yellow tablet reading 10/325

Thank you,

I share your concern here.

While each drug in Norco is used in dogs on occasion, these doses are much to high for an 8lb dog. Therefore, there is a risk of sedation, lethargy, GI upset, stomach ulcers, and breathing issues (as the acetaminophen can bind the red blood cells and block their oxygen uptake). So, if there is any chance she has eaten this, we need to act fast here.

First, if you are sure which dog may have had this, then we can induce vomiting now.

To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

Or if you cannot get her to vomit or aren't sure which dog has had this, you can consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here

Overall, this is a serious intoxication if she has had this and we could see those above signs in the hours to come if she has had this. Therefore, in this case, we'd be safest to induce vomiting if we know who may have had it. Or we can give charcoal to both every 8 hours for the next 24 hours to block any risk of absorption. Of course, if you cannot do this for any reason, are struggling, or see any of those signs; we'd want her to her vet for IV fluids and symptomatic care to avoid any harm from this.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

At this point it has been almost an hour , I do not have peroxide. They are both acting fine at the moment. I am able t be with them all day, should I take to emergency vet now or watch to see if they start showing any signs of ingestion. Thank you for all of your help

Hi again,

We have a 2 hour window maximum in these cases, so there is still time to get the peroxide before the drug can be absorbed. Otherwise activated charcoal is the ideal safety measure if you are just not sure who had it or if she had it at all. Otherwise, if you are sure she did, it would be highly advisable to take her to the ER instead of just watching because the side effects of these drugs can be pretty terrible (and will take a few hours to appear so being normal now doesn't mean anything here) if she did have this.

Take care,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian