Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

By accident, we gave my dog wrong medication. He's on

Customer Question

By accident, we gave my dog wrong medication. He's on antibiotic and we gave him Cymbalta 3 tabs at 60 mg each. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Can you please tell me how much DJ weighs and how long ago this occurred? Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He weighs 28 lbs and about 30 minutes ago.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Duloxetine (Cymbalta®) is prescribed as an antidepressant and anti-anxiety agent. When ingested by pets it can cause agitation, vocalization, tremors and seizures.

If your dog ingested this within the last hour and based on DJ's breed I would advise inducing vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (1 tbsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

In the meanwhile I will begin calculating the level of concern for the symptoms I listed for DJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

So 28 pounds is 12.7 kg

He ingested 180 mg of the medication making the concentration ingested for his weight 14 mg/kg

I apologize for the delay, I am having a difficult time finding the toxic dose for his size

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

For dogs at a dose of 100 mg/kg, no deaths were seen but reduced activity, slow pupillary response, intermittent tremors, rigidity.

Luckily as you can see we are well below this dose but removing it from his system is ideal

If you are unable to and he begins to show any signs above please consider a veterinary er to treat him symptomatically

I hope the information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. How is your DJ? Were you able to induce vomiting? I would love an update when you are able.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! I am online another 30 minutes tonight

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!