Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Babysitting sons Dobie approx. 1 year old. been to vet 2x in

Customer Question

Babysitting sons Dobie approx. 1 year old. been to vet 2x in last month for diahrea, 20lb weight loss overall sick.Tuesday evening we started her on Taste of the Wild dog food. She LOVED it!!! Ate it, no vomit or diahrea... etc. Wednesday she was again taken to vet by son & given 3 Whole Food Supplements all to be taken 2x daily, Hepatic support 30mg, Enzycore, & Canine whole body support. He loaded the food bowl, she wouldn't eat it anymore, but this am got up wobbly, out of it, acting strange. she had eaten some of a dracaena plant, a huge bite of colored pencils, and shewed some oxygen hose in two... What the heck??? She will pee outside, has tried to poo but nothing. Has drank approx. 4 C H2O, & I fed her a plain yogurt...??? what now?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It would seem to me that a 20 lb weight loss should dictate more than being prescribed nutritional supplements. This is a patient who needs to be presumptively wormed, and thoroughly "worked-up" by diagnostics in the form of blood, urine, and fecal tests, abdominal ultrasound and even scoping and biopsy of her GI tract if the previous testing revealed nothing untoward.

Her current behavior is worrisome for either worsening of a condition that heretofore hasn't been clarified or intoxication from ingesting such unusual things. The saponins in Dracaena, however, isn't expected to cause any more than vomiting (occasionally with blood), depression, anorexia, and hypersalivation.

I understand that you're simply caretaking your son's dog. Please encourage him to find a vet willing to be more aggressive in determining the etiology of Zoey's profound and life-threatening symptoms. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.