Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy got into a bottle of Vitamin D3 supplements and ate…

Customer Question
my puppy got into a...
my puppy got into a bottle of Vitamin D3 supplements and ate alot of them. What should I do.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/18/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since he/she ate the vitamin?

2- How does the puppy weigh?

3- How many milligrams or IU were the vitamin D3?

4- Can you give me an idea how many she/he ate?

5- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

He ate it about an hour ago. the puppy weighs about 60 pounds the vitamin d3 soft gel caplets were 2000 IU and he ate about 191 of them I think. He is currently being treated for valley fever. I am not sure if I have hydrogen peroxide.

Can you check on the hydrogen peroxide please?

Are you there?

I was wrong about the weight he is 38 pounds and I don't have hydrogen perioxide but I can send someone out to get some.
I do have some hydro perioxide
what should I do?

Friend, the dose your puppy took of vitamin D3 based on weight comes out to 561mcg/kg, doses above 100mg/kg is considered toxic and can lead to renal failure. Need to move quickly and try to induce vomiting. This is what you can do:

1- Give her 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If she does not vomit or you do not see all of the pills in the vomit I would have her checked by ER veterinarian tonight. I would strongly recommend taking your puppy now to the nearest ER veterinarian so they can induce vomiting and start supportive care, do not wait. This could be fatal for your puppy. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter