Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My puppy got hurt by another dog tonight. She is snorting

Customer Question
out of her nose. The...
My puppy got hurt by another dog tonight. She is snorting out of her nose. The bleeding has subsided mostly. She is resting now, and not hurt anywhere else. I know that I should ice the bridge of her nose, but should I use a baby bulb suction to try to clear her passage. She is 8 weeks old.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/17/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that your puppy was injured; hopefully, the injury isn't too severe.

Icing her nose isn't a bad thing to do but take care to wrap whatever you use in a towel or something similar. You wouldn't want to apply it directly to her body since it may cause more damage. This may be something that you already know but I just wanted to mention it to be safe.

I probably wouldn't suction her nose since you may inadvertently disturb blood clots which have formed. If her nasal passages are blocked such that it's hard for her to breath through her nose, she'll just breath through her mouth.

I'm a little hesitant to suggest Aspirin for a pup this age but as long as she's not vomiting and not currently taking any other medication (which I don't know why she would), then one dose might be acceptable. I dose at 10 mgs per pound of body weight and give it with food to avoid stomach upset.

I hope this helps and that she's going to be ok in a few days...which she should be. Deb

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. She is about 12 lbs. Can I give her 1/2 of a baby aspirin?

The dose would normally be about 81 mgs at one time (low dose); I'm not sure if 1/2 the standard dose will be sufficient to help with inflammation or possibly any pain which she may have.

I'd probably just give the full, 81 mg but just the one dose for now.

Deb

Hello again,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your puppy. How is she doing? Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian