Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I feel irresponsible but my 8 month old German Shepherd just

Customer Question

I feel irresponsible but my 8 month old German Shepherd just need with another dog. I kept her calm they were linked about 20 minutes. Is there anything I can do to prevent pregnancy?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mated*
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I'm tired and now worried. It woke me up. She's so young and her first heat. Yes, the other dog is my 4 year old German Shepherd. My vet advised not to spay until 11 months old
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

This is an unfortunate situation. Now in regards ***** ***** you can do, there won't be any home based options that would be of benefit. Though you can speak to your vet to see if they have access to Lutalyse (Dinoprost) as this will terminate the pregnancy (do note its use would be off license). Otherwise, if this is not an option, the only way to prevent a pregnancy for her would be to have her spayed early. It wouldn't be ideal based on her vet's recommendations but may be a necessary step to avoid pregnancy at her age (and I would note that there is more benefit for avoid mammary tumors in the future if done at this stage as opposed to waiting until after her second season).

Finally, just since not every mating is successful, you could consider monitoring her until day 22 with a view to testing her Relaxin levels via blood sample. As well, ultrasound is usually diagnostic for pups around day 25. So, you could monitor and if she were found to be pregnant at those early landmark stages, then we could proceed with spaying.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information. So just to verify there isn't a morning after pill so to speak for dogs? And if she does become pregnant, which is verified after 20 some days, spaying is an option?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

Unfortunately, there is no morning after pill for dogs. It would certainly be lovely if we did have one for them but the injectable hormone treatments are the closest we have to that in veterinary medicine. And yes, spaying can actually be done quite late into pregnancy when need be. Though we'd want to have it done shortly after confirmation at that point to just remove that burden from her and remove the pregnancy as soon as possible.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I do not spay at this moment and she has pups, what are the risks to her? I love her like a child and intent was to 'possibly' breed one day but this happened quicker than I thought possible. She'll be 9 months Jan 1 and is already 65 pounds
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Now she is sexually mature, so this will be akin to a teenage pregnancy. She won't necessarily have any more health risks with it then an older dog but if she is pouring her body resources into a pregnancy instead of growth then she may never achieve her full growth potential. So, she could be stunted or smaller then she would have been otherwise. As well, being so young, she has a higher chance of struggling with being a mum. So, there is more of a chance that you may need to help her with the pups or bottle feed if she were to reject them. Otherwise, she is of an age where she can carry a pregnancy if she were to keep this one.

Take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! :

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

** Please remember to rate my service when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you