Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Mom is ill and her dog is really a feral house dog, never

Customer Question

My Mom is ill and her dog is really a feral house dog, never been in a car or on a leash and is quick to become aggressive. He is chewing himself crazy with a Rash and itching patches. On his underbelly the rash appears to have darker red rings with lighter inside the ring. My mom had to have her port-a-cath removed because of Pasteurella. Could this be source of this poor dogs itch.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Based on what you have described with Buddy's skin, I am concerned that he does have a bacterial pyoderma. This usually is caused by Staphylococcus species but Pasteurella certainly could cause this type of skin infection. Now unfortunately Benadryl is only going to help with allergic skin issues. So, its of little benefit here. That said, if it makes him drowsy (note he can have up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours at most) that may allow you to better handle him. And if you can, at the very least, you will want to bathe these skin lesions 2-3 times daily with dilute OTC chlorohexidine. This is a mild dog safe antiseptic and if the infection is mild, it could help settle it. That said, with this Pasteurella risk, the best option would be to see if the local vet can make a home visit or contact your local mobile vet to come out to Buddy. They can administer sedation if need be to assess and swab the skin. And most importantly, they can dispense antibiotic to address the infection and steroids (by long acting injection or tablets) to break the itch/scratch cycle.

Overall, Buddy does sound to have a bacterial skin infection here. And with the situation with his owner, Pasteurella is a real concern. Therefore, we need to topically care for this but with the nature of this infection systemic/oral antibiotics are indicated for clearing this.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your knowledgeable reply. Buddy is not a bath able dog, but I will see if there are any Vets that will do house calls in this area.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

I had worried that would be the case with what you had said about his behaviour. Therefore, having the vet out for sedation/exam/treatment would be our best course of action.

Best wishes to you all,

Dr. B