Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dachsund 9 lbs I think she ate a Magnesium 250 mg Tablet

Customer Question
(vitamin) what should I do...
my dachsund 9 lbs I think she ate a Magnesium 250 mg Tablet (vitamin) what should I do this was at 7:00 PM California time
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/17/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your 9 pound pup may have ingested 250mgs of magnesium.

Is she healthy otherwise?

Does she have any long term health problems or take any medications long term?

How is she behaving now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She seems fine she has no health issue not on any meds Moshe is 2 years old
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Her name is ***** ***** is not on any meds she is 2 years old. I am not positive that she took it. I want to be safe didn't know if I should enduse vomiting

That's great news, that means that she should be able to handle this well.

There was a toxicity study done on female Beagles, and this supplement appears to be fairly safe in dogs.

Magnesium sulfate was given intravenously at dose levels of 75, 300 and 1200 mg/kg or 34, 136, and 545mgs per pound of body weight to female Beagles. No deaths were observed in any of the dose groups and the lethal dose level was estimated to be higher than 1200 mg/kg(545mg/lb). In the 545 mgs per pound group, they did see vomiting, decreased movement, staggering gait, laying down more and flushing of the skin of the ears and around the eyes. However, these signs disappeared gradually and the dogs returned to a normal about 1 hour after dosing.

While your pup is tiny she is healthy and the dose isn't that high, 27mgs per pound of body weight, so I think she may have mild nausea, but that should be it.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian