Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 12- 13 yr old female Lab Mix. Daisy was diagnosed

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 12-...
Hi, I have a 12- 13 yr old female Lab Mix. Daisy was diagnosed about 4 months ago with Arthritis in both hips with the right being worst . Her vet put her on Rimadyl 100mg 1/2 tab bid for pain. Also gave her Tramadol 50mg 2 tabs every 12 hours as needed for pain. I gave it to her as directed but it seemed to make her like a zombie. So I cut back on the meds to once a day. At first it seemed to be helping, but now she seems like shes confused. She'll pace around the house, she'll stumble over things like she didn't see that they were there. She is not her happy little self anymore. She doesn't wag her tail or give her little kisses. I'm going to be taking her in to see her vet again, but I feel there is something more wrong , not sure if its side effects from the medications or if there is something more serious going on. Any advice/suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you. Daisy's Mom
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/17/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Daisy. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

It appears you are not currently online and available to discuss your question with me. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you. I will OPT OUT now so your question will be available for other experts when you return online.
Thank you for using our website.

Dog Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Daisy hasn't been her normal self lately. I definitely agree that the best thing to do is have her looked at again by your vet. While tramadol can cause sleepiness, I find even that to be pretty rare, and it's not something I'd expect to last more than a few hours. So if she's only getting it once a day, I would be worried that something else is causing the issue. Having said that, I do believe in listening to what their body is telling us and watching for patterns, so I might be tempted to take her off the tramadol completely to see if that helps. I'd definitely consult with your vet before changing her medications though. I worry that you are seeing her bump into things - it could be that she is having vision loss that is leading to her changes in behavior. Disease like retinal atrophy can have no outward signs that we can see without specialized testing. They can also happen suddenly. In a dog who is losing sight either slowly or has lost it rather suddenly but the eyes look normal on physical exam, my first suspicion is for retinal degeneration. There's not much that can be done to reverse it, but it will put your mind at ease to have her checked over. It certainly could be that she's starting to show signs of brain aging and senility, as this is expected when they get upwards of 10+ years of age. Sometimes the signs are gradual but sometimes we see a more sudden onset of changes in their behavior. There are medications that can help sharpen them up again if senility is the working diagnosis. I'm so sorry to hear that she's not her happy self right now - I think that seeing the vet will help ease your nerves and give you some more options for helping her age gracefully :) Please let me know what other questions I can handle for you!

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian