Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog tilts to the one side and had a few siezers the other

Customer Question
day they put him on...
my dog tilts to the one side and had a few siezers the other day they put him on anti seizur drugs i took him off as i thought the drugs made him imbalance is that ear infection he tilts to his left and flop over if walking also his eyes is a bit big
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/17/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your boy has been so ill - I'll do my best to help.

Did he have the head tilt going on when he was seen at the ER? Has he had any seizures since the ER visit?

I'm afraid that the signs that you are describing are quite concerning. It's unusual for a dog so young to have such severe neurologic issues. It's important that the vet checks his ears thoroughly to look for evidence of an inner ear infection. If it's not an ear issue, though, we are very concerned that it could be a CNS (brain) lesion of some sort. The new onset of seizures definitely supports a brain issue. In a young dog, this could be an infectious issue that could potentially be cured with the correct treatment. It could also be an immune-mediated disease that could respond to steroids. Ultimately the best way to get to the bottom of it is going to be further diagnostics, potentially including something like an MRI and CT scan. If that's definitely not an option, you could definitely discuss potential trials of antibiotics or prednisone with your veterinarian to see if they help. There's certainly no guarantee that it'll fix him but if further work up isn't an option, you could certainly try some treatments. If he's still continuing to have seizures, I would also discuss trying either an adjusted dose of the seizure medication he's on now or a different seizure medication entirely.

If he's only been to the emergency clinic so far, you could either have him rechecked there or you could have him to your regular family veterinarian who can provide you with a second opinion. This is definitely not something that is common with a dog so young.

I hope that this info is helpful - please let me know if I can answer other questions for you :)

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you but i have just lost my dog went for a 3rd opinion and the same results with no money to pay that thousands of dollars and the suffering of our dog we had to uethanise him i am gutted but he could hardlly walk at times. i dont know what aggreviatesvthe condition. but its sad he was a healthy dog

I'm so sorry for your loss. You did everything that was within your power to help him, including seeking expert opinions from multiple sources, for which I applaud you. Even if you had all the resources in the world financially, that still wouldn't guarantee that the outcome would have been any different, as sometimes we do the advanced diagnostics only to find that there's no cure for the condition we diagnose. Take comfort in knowing that you did all you could, and also that even if you could have done more, it might not have changed the ultimate outcome.

Take care

~Dr. Sara

Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian