Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dogs eyes look like they are turning, is there a problem?

Customer Question

My dogs eyes look like they are turning white, is there a problem?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Do you mean the dark or colored area in the eye ball is turning white?

2- How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the colored area, just notice
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, what you are seeing could be related to an underlying medical problem like Cataracts which is when the lens becomes cloudy. There are many possible causes for cataracts like: Diabetes, old age, trauma, etc. A cataract will eventually interfere with vision when it becomes large.

Another possible cause is called Nuclear Sclerosis, this is a change that occurs in the lens of aging dogs but it does not interfere with vision.

I would recommend a hands on examination by family veterinarian to exam the lens and determine if this is cataracts or nuclear sclerosis. Any treatment will be based on examination results.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter