Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 10 year old short leg, swallowed a small rawhide bone, 3"

Customer Question
My 10 year old short...
My 10 year old short leg ***** *****, swallowed a small rawhide bone, 3" long with knots in the ends, solid rawhide not compressed. I did not see her eat it, so I do not know if she just woofed it down or had chewed it up into a slime thing. It has been several months since she has had one. I put one in water then unrolled it, 9" long x 2.5" wide. This happened Tuesday early morning, my husband said when he got home at 10am there were some piles of vomit with digested looking food, there were also piles of spit up everywhere. By 12:00 she was vomiting a clear slimy water mix it felt like sticky rawhide. She is urinating, and walking, when she lays in her bed, it takes her a while to get comfortable.
She was overweight before, not java the hut, but long watermelon plump. Now she has a puppy waistline. She will drink water, within 5- 10 minutes she spits up, the slime. It is really hard to pick up, sticks to floor. Paper towels will not pick it up, a microfiber towel works good. Wednesday morning same condition, drink, spit up. It does not smell rotted, just digestion smell. She is walking and can jump on the couch, walks outside to urinate, but her back is roached up, tail down. Her temperature at 7:00 am was 103.2. She is normally flat back.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/16/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Roxie has been so ill these past two days.

I'm very concerned by what you're describing. When a dog can't keep water down and is vomiting without stopping as you're describing, it's time to see the vet. While rawhides are digestible in the stomach, if they swallow a large piece and it tries to move out of the stomach before it's properly digested, it can become stuck in the pylorus, duodenum, or intestines and cause an obstruction. The cardinal sign of a GI obstruction is vomiting to the point that they're unable to keep anything down. A GI obstruction is a surgical emergency, so I would not delay in seeking veterinary care for her. She definitely needs to be evaluated ASAP to see if she needs surgery. While it's certainly possible that this is a GI upset from some other cause, like a virus, pancreatits or other "whole body" disease like diabetes, kidney or liver disease, with the history of potentially having eaten a rawhide of that size followed by vomiting that is not stopping, this could be a serious emergency. That temperature of 103.2 is also elevated - normal is less than 102.5. Again, this could be indicative of an infectious GI upset, but it could also be indicative of a GI obstruction that is nearing GI rupture (or potentially already has), which would be absolutely life threatening. From your description it also sounds like she's having abdominal pain. When I have owners call with concerns like yours at my office, I bring them in ASAP for an evaluation. Please let me know what questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian