Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I just gave my daughters 90 pound golden retriever a ham

Customer Question

I just gave my daughters 90 pound golden retriever a ham bone from Honey Baked Ham store. Is this dangerious....she is very worried
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. Yes, this can be very dangerous. When dogs consume ham bones they get broken down into a lot of sharp pieces but not digested and usually get to the colon and fill up the colon like concrete. I have literally had to sedate these patients due to how painful this is and pick bones out of their colon. The other risk is pancreatitis. If the dog has already consumed the bone I would take her to the ER now it might save her alot of pain in the long run. Sorry to have to tell you bad news but I hope this helps you. Please let me know if you have additional questions. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

I check my computer each night and in am so please let me know if you need further help. Best, DRB