Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 100 lbs black lab ate two .025 bromethalin worms. Should

Customer Question
my 100 lbs black lab...
my 100 lbs black lab ate two .025 bromethalin worms for Moles. Should i do anything?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/15/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

With your dog's size being 100 pounds (45 kg) that would make this ingestion of 0.050 mg a concentration to him at 0.001 mg/kg ingestion.

This toxin can cause:

Level of toxicity: Generally moderate to severe, depending on the amount ingested, time of ingestion, active ingredient, and concentration of the product

Common signs to watch for:

​Bromethalin poisoning is not treated with Vitamin K1! Bromethalin works by uncoupling oxidative phosphorylation in the brain and liver mitochondria and can result in brain swelling (cerebral edema).

In toxicity trials, the oral toxic dose of bromethalin when used as part of bait appears to be much lower than the dose administered as a technical grade agent. For example, in dogs, an average lethal dose of technical grade bromethalin is reported to be 4.7 mg/kg but 2.38 mg/kg in bait. Young dogs (<1 yr old) appear more sensitive; death has been reported at dosages of ~1 mg/kg in bait. Dogs are more commonly involved.

Even though this ingestion is way below the toxic dose if the ingestion was within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 3 tbsp for his size) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

It simply is not worth the risk with this product. One site lists:

At a bromethalin dosage of 0.1–0.49 mg/kg in dogs (more than what was ingested in this scenario), or 0.05-0.1 mg/kg in cats, emesis alone within 4 hr of exposure may be adequate. If emesis is not successful, or if > 4 hr have elapsed since ingestion, a single dose of activated charcoal at 1–2 g/kg body wt is indicated. Whenever administering activated charcoal, the clinician must remain aware of the risk of aspiration or hypernatremia secondary to fluid shift into the gut. The clinical signs of acute hypernatremia may mimic those seen with bromethalin toxicosis.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if I can be of any further assistance tonight. Activated charcoal would be a treatment through your veterinarian or a veterinary er if warranted

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses just a little bit ago

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I am online another hour tonight if I can be of any further assistance

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian