Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is panting uncontrollably and her nose has been hot

Customer Question
since last night. She may...
my dog is panting uncontrollably and her nose has been hot since last night. She may have eaten hops for my husbands beer brewing kit. Can this be the cause?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/15/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she been like this?

How much hops do you think she got into?

How much does she weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Since last night about 8PM.
She must have eaten several 2-3 maybe.
She weighs 60lbs

Thank you,

Now I do I suspect Dakota has had some of the hops. This is because intoxication with this will often cause panting and elevated body temperature. In severe ingestions, we can also see agitation, tremors, and seizures. So, this does fit with a mild exposure for her.

Now since we are nearly 11 hours post ingestion, we will be limited with what we can do here. We are well passed a stage where we can induce vomiting or use activated charcoal to counter this intoxication. Instead, we have 2 options. Since it has been 11 hours already and we are likely at peak effects, we can try to keep her calm, cool (bathing in cool water, putting cool compresses on her belly and feet, over cool water to drink, etc), and monitor for the rest of the day. Otherwise, if she appears to be struggling to breathe or is very warm; then we may need to get her local vet involved as well. They can sedate her with medication to both calm and reduce her temperature +/- give IV fluids to flush this toxin out faster.

Overall, Dakota's signs fit with hops ingestion. With it being so far on since she ate this, we are likely seeing the worst of this. So, if she is breathing comfortably (though quickly of course) and can settle, we can monitor for the next 8-12 hours. But if she is struggling, we'd want her seen for the above supportive care here.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I canto provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian