Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Is it normal to have swelling behind the incisive papilla in

Customer Question

Is it normal to have swelling behind the incisive papilla in a dogs mouth
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now the incisive papilla should be raised (example) but there should not be a swelling behind it. Therefore, if you are seeing a swelling behind this (so not included in that photo example I have given), this is not normal. It would raise concerns of a possible recent trauma, micro-infection, or even something being caught in the tissue. Just to note, nasty masses would be much less likely for Ringo given his age. So, an additional bump behind the incisive papilla would not be normal and should be checked by his vet.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marylouise,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ringo. How is everything going?
nekovet