Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has vomited a couple times tonight both after

Customer Question

Hi so my dog has vomited a couple times tonight both after drinking some water. The first time he threw up it was greenish and had some grass in it and what appeared to be part of a stuffed toy. The second time was just water. He didn't want his dinner tonight and has been trying to poop but nothing is coming out. He seems very uncomfortable as he can lay down for more than a moment or two and is groaning. He doesn't seem very bloated.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can he keep anything down at all?

How long ago did he eat part of that toy? Do you think there is more missing?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know when he ate the piece of the toy or if there is any thing missing, he hasn't eaten since breakfast this morning and is uninterested in eating now. His stomach doesn't seem tender to the touch.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about Trooper.

His signs are suggestive of more material being present in the gut and causing a blockage. This is especially a concern with the groaning, reluctance to lay down (and put pressure on his stomach), and straining to pass stool. And I would note this will also be why we have vomiting and anorexia at this point.

Now with him showing such obvious pain signs and inability to keep water down, I must say that it would be best to have him seen urgently. His vet can palpate +/- xray his belly to identify how much of this non-edible material is present, where it is, and whether he can pass it. If it is still in the stomach, they can scope it out before it gets into the intestines. Otherwise, if it looks like it can pass, they can treat him with injectable anti-nausea medication, pain relief, and then use GI lubricants +/- enemas to help it pass. But if it is caught and causing gut damage, then surgery may be needed.

Overall, Trooper is showing all the red flag signs of a gut blockage. If he were eating and not vomiting, we'd have some treatment options (ie oral GI lubricants). But if he cannot and is showing those pain signs, then those will not be options (since we don't want to risk aspiration worsening his situation). Therefore, this is an urgent situation for him and we do need him seen at this stage. The local vet can again assess where the rest of this material is in the GI and start treatment to help get him comfortable, settle his stomach, and get him to pass this before it can damage the intestines.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/or www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Connor,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Trooper. How is everything going?
nekovet