Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our dog Katie is ten years old and seems to be getting a

Customer Question
little stiff in her hind...
Our dog Katie is ten years old and seems to be getting a little stiff in her hind legs. She still runs and plays. My grown son insists that when she makes herself comfortable in the pillows on the couch that she should never have her hind legs hanging down the side of the pillow. He cannot give me any justification for this theory but it is causing a lot of friction between us. I believe she should be able to make herself comfortable, but he drags her off the couch if he thinks her legs are not in in a good position. Please help us settle this once and for all. Thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/14/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread.

Friend, if Katie is becoming stiff this is likely a sign of arthritis. As you may already know arthritis is inflammation in the joints. If she has position herself with her legs slightly hanging off the pillow this will not create any pressure on the hip joints, she should be fine. Allow her to position herself the best way she finds comfort. Finally, if you haven't already I would start her on a supplement called Cosequin (glucosamine) long term, this will help by promoting the production of joint fluid. You can buy this over the counter in your local pet store or online, give at label dose.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian