Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a soft coated wheaten terrier she has skin issues.

Customer Question

I have a soft coated wheaten terrier she has skin issues. The spots that are itching on her are black, she has a terrible odor and she's very oily
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Can you upload a photo(s) of representative skin to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. You appear to be describing a seborrhea oleosa - a disorder of skin keratinization and maturation. The irritated skin forms excess oils which become rancid and odiferous in time. Seborrheas can be primary in some breeds - which breed and how old is she, please - or appear secondary (most common) to allergic and infectious skin disease.