Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ate beach sand and rocks. Throwing up since Sat

Customer Question
night, pooped sand on Sunday...
My dog ate beach sand and rocks. Throwing up since Sat night, pooped sand on Sunday morning.Threw up a rick about 6cm and a clam shell plus numerous little rocks. I was hoping he got it all out but he's still acting very sick. Nothing to eat since Sat at 4. Can't keep h2o down, he tries it up almost immediately.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/14/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B,a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Has he been unable to keep water down since Saturday? Even a sip?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Have you seen any blood in his vomit or stools? Any black material or coffee ground looking vomit?

No blood, he kept down a tiny amount of water. Anything more than a small amount, if I let him pick out of my cupped hand, he throws it up. He pooped out what looked like pure beach sand yesterday morning.
I meant to say licked out of my hand. He has not had anything solid since Sat afternoon
He was shaking a lot yesterday which I associated with pain. He has not slept at all in 2 days. I am able to rub his abdomen without it appearing to bother him
Gums look pink

Thank you,

First, the shaking isn't a surprise since it is a sign of them feeling unwell and his gut is likely raw from having to pass such abrasive material. That said, it is positive that he has had no signs of bleeding and that he is passing this as opposed to it acting as a blockage (still a risk here).

Now with all this in mind, we need to tread with care with Yashu. This is because as I noted we do have blockage risks in these cases and can see severe gut inflammation from these kinds of ingestions. And that is likely (as well as any material still being in the stomach) why he is so nauseous and unsettled. Now if he can barely keep water down, this usually is a sign we need his local vet to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication. So, that is highly advisable here. Of course, if there is any delay in having him seen, you can try an antacid to see if he can keep that down and settle. Common OTC pet safe options would be:

* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)

Or you could try him with Milk of Magnesia (0.5 tsp every 8 hours). All will help with nausea but that one is a liquid, so it can coat the throat and stomach a bit better (which would be ideal here). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

If he can keep that down and he is settled after that, we can start him on a light diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). These should be fed as small frequent meals. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As well, we can add a fiber source (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) +/- a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball treatment, lactulose, miralax, food grade mineral oil). The former will help push the lingering sand out and the latter will help lubricate that gut to aid it slipping out.

Overall, its good that Yashu is passing this material but his vomiting is a real worry here. Therefore, we'd want to see if we can settle that stomach. If we can, then a light diet with those additives can help keep everything moving along. Of course, if he cannot keep the antacid down, is sore, or looking dehydrated; then we'd need the local vet to use injectable treatment for him. And once we can get that stomach settled, we can again take the above steps to soothe the gut but also get as much of that material out naturally as possible for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Thank you so much, this was very helpful. My vet is going to call me when he gets in and in the meantime I'll watch out for the warning signs.

You are very welcome,

That sounds like a good plan of action until his vet rings. :)

All the best for Yashu ,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. ** Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about Yashu. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian