Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My female boxer has had a rash on her belly area couple

Customer Question
My female boxer has had...
My female boxer has had a rash on her belly area for a couple weeks. She licks at it so I assume it itches. I have a picture I can share
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/13/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help.

If you can post your photographs that would be grand. To do so, you can use the paper clip icon above you text box. Or you can them on any site and paste the link here for me.

Otherwise can you tell me of you are seeing pimples with her rash?

Any new food being given in the 4-6 weeks before this started ?

When was she last treated for fleas? What did you use?

Thank you,

Based on the photo, your lass looks to have a patch if moist dermatitis. We can see these related to bacterial infection but if she has gotten urine on the skin, this could be our trigger. Now this will be very itchy, so we do need to keep her from licking and making it worse. To do so, she may need to wear an ecollar for a few days or you can use a breathable cover (ie boxers, T-shirt, etc).

Furthermore, since we have a single lesion, we would want to start topically treating this. To start, we'd want to wash the lesion with salr water or dilute chlorohexidine. Afterwards, we want to pat it dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream. Since it will itch, you can alternate with OTC hydrocortisone cream. This can be done 2-3 times daily until settled.

As long as the skin settles and heals with the above, we're happy. Though if it lingers, then we'd want to see her vet for oral antibiotics and steroids to clear this. ( but if we just have the one, the usually just need the above so long as they don't pick up any odd bacteria).

All the best,

Dr. B

Hi Dawn,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bailey. How is everything going?
nekovet
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It seems to be getting better. It's challenging to not have her lick at it and she won't wear a collar or boxers.

Hi again,

They certainly can be their own worst enemy. Since we do really need her to leave the area alone, I would suggest looking into an inflatable or neck only collar (example). These are more like neck braces to keep them from reaching the area and can be less distressing if she struggles with the traditional ones.

Take care & happy holidays,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

** Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian