DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

Our 80-pound golden retriever ate up to an 1/8 of a cup of

Customer Question

our 80-pound golden retriever ate up to an 1/8 of a cup of salt 5 hours ago should we take him to the emergency vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. I'm sorry to hear your dog got into some trouble. Thankfully being such a large dog, he has only consumed about 1/3 the acutely lethal dose. However he has eaten enough to make him quite sick and be very hard on his kidneys. His body is telling him to drink lots of water to try to flush it out. I would still recommend going to an emergency vet today for monitoring and more closely controlled fluid therapy and to have blood tests to monitor his kidneys. I hope this helps. Best wishes.