Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I would like to send a pic of the red bumps that have

Customer Question
appeared in my dogs snout...
I would like to send a pic of the red bumps that have appeared in my dogs snout and eyebrow
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/13/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like you today.

If you could post your photos that would be grand. To do so, you can use the paperclip icon above your text box. Or you can post them anywhere and paste the link here for me to follow.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please help me treat my dog...he is healthy has never had any skin issues and this came out of no where. Climate here has been cold and rainy and the next day sunny. Please help ! None of my other animals have this

Thank you,

Now based on the photos, the skin changes look like a moist dermatitis. That said, if its spreading rapidly, we'd also be concerned about an underlying allergic reaction or possible snake bite ( not common this time of year, but that risk would depend on your location). So, as long as you check that orignal site and see no bites and can rule out snakes, we can consider trying to address this.

Now with how severe this is and how fast it's progressing, it'd be ideal to have him to his vets. The reason is because they can use injectable steroids and antibiotics to counter those other concerns.

Otherwise we can try to reduce this by staring him on Benadryl 0.5 -2mg per pound of his weight every 8 hours). Be aware this can cause drowsiness and you should speak to his vet before use if he has any health issues or is on any meds.

Further to that, we will want to topically clean this with salt water or dilute chlorohexidine. This will help get the infection away. Any hair over the areas need to be clipped with care. And the cleaning can be done 2-3 times daily and the pat dry. You can also apply OTC antibiotic cream to the lesions...

You can also alternate with OTC hydrocortisone cream if he is itchy with this.

Overall we have a few concerns here. So if there is any bite risk, we want an urgent check. Otherwise we can use the above to try to reduce and clear this for him

Please take care,

Dr. B

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No chance of snake bite and he is acting himself

I'm very glad to hear that. In that case, we have to focus on bacterial dermatitis with a possible allergy underlying. So start the above, monitor closely, and plan a check with his vet if he doesn't settle with the above.

Dr. B

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How long does this take to heal?

Hi again,

Healing is an individual issue. If he fully responds to our treatment, then potentially a week. If the infection is deep, it can take a few weeks. So, it does very much depend on him and his response to treatment.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Hi Bobbielee,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Roscoe. How is everything going?
nekovet
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He still has the rash but it isn't as bright red and swollen as it was....doesn't appear to have spread anywhere else but it isn't back to normal yet hoping he will be back to normal soon

Hello again,

Well, it has only been 5 days and often we treat for at least 7-14 days. So, we'd want to keep up as we are. Of course, if it isn't settling, then we'd want to have a check with his vet as he may need antibiotics to help his immune system clear this completely.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. **Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian