Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 6 year old Welsh Terrier who is usually bright eyed,

Customer Question

Customer: My 6 year old Welsh Terrier who is usually bright eyed, alert and energetic, suddenly started hanging his head (2:00 this afternoon) and acting tentative. He wouldn't eat dog food and was salivating. I cooked some rice and chicken for him and hand feed him and he was very hungry. It's like he doesn't want to walk. He want's to lie down and he seems disoriented.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He has had an attack of gastritis in the past and the vet said he could take a pepcid... however he recovered and has been fine. This came on suddenly.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Fee is fine. But I'm not able to wait for long.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you tell me, please, if there's a chance your Welsh terrier was intoxicated by a prescription or recreational drug? His behavior is important but it's not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. I am concerned about his seeming to be disoriented. What are you seeing that suggests disorientation, please?