How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 30325
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My female dog has a very swollen left bottom breast. It is

Customer Question

Hi Dr Gary,
My female dog has a very swollen left bottom breast. It is growing in size. She is very lethargic and the colour of the breast is slightly darkened. This began after a kitten has been attempting to suckle the dog. The dog seems very unwell. It is late at night on a Saturday and no vets are open in the Netherlands. Do I need to call an emergency vet or will it be alright to wait until Monday to treat the dog, or does she need antibiotics immediately?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I must encourage administering antibiotics as soon as possible. I suspect that the kitten broke Peppetje's skin when suckling and that breast is now abscessed. You might avoid an ER vet if you have an antibiotic at home that I might be able to give a dose for Poppetje. Please let me know if that's the case.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question is, it is now 2:30am, should I go immediately to a night time vet clinic or is it possible to wait until 10am in the morning when I can have an appointment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will go check what antibiotics I have at home
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You can wait until morning. Another 5-6 hours won't be critical.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have some clindamycine and fluimucil
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Clindamycin dosed at 33 mg/kg should be helpful. Be sure to let Poppetje's vet know that you've administered it. It's unlikely to interfere with an antibiotic prescribed by her vet but the vet may ask that you wait 12 hours after administering the clindamycin to begin another antibiotic. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 300mg human tablets, the dog weighs around 2kg I don't have a scale, so 66mg which is roughly a quarter of a tablet. Is it safe for me to give her a quarter of a tablet?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that would still be within the acceptable dosing range. That dose can be administered every 12 hours for 3-4 days to see if it's effective. You might be able to avoid a vet visit. I have to leave my computer for a few hours but promise to reply when I return if need be.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** given her the clindamycine with some food and I will wait until the morning.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Sounds good. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Poppetje. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin