How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16535
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have 2 dogs. One of my dogs got into milk chocolate 5 oz.

Customer Question

I have 2 dogs. One of my dogs got into milk chocolate 5 oz. My other dog ate some up and threw up. I think they both ate it. They are 16b each. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear about your pups eating some milk chocolate.

If both dogs were involved it may be difficult to be sure how many ounces each one ate.

A 10 pound pup would need to eat 2.4 ounces of milk chocolate to see symptoms of drooling, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea and almost 4.8 ounces of milk chocolate to see hyper-excitability and an elevated heart rate.

At higher amounts we can see muscle tremors and possible seizures.

So if one dog ate it all or most that would explain the vomiting. The good news though is if that dog ate most then perhaps the other one won't get sick. But if they split it then both are likely to have an upset stomach.

Since your one pup has already vomited it may be too late to induce vomiting. Has it already been 2 hours since they ate it? If so it is likely the chocolate is out of his stomach and it is probably too late to induce vomiting.

At that point you cannot change things much at home, all you can do is watch him for further symptoms now.

I would encourage you to get him to drink as much as possible and to get him out to urinate frequently. Chocolate toxins are metabolized out through the kidneys and can be reabsorbed from the bladder so we don't want them to sit in his bladder for long.

In most cases mild chocolate toxicity is out of their system in 24 to 48 hours. We generally begin to see symptoms, if they eat a toxic amount, within 4 to 6 hours.

It may help to with-hold food for the next 12 hours to stop intestinal spasms.

If he seems at all nauseous to try and settle either pup's stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and should help him feel less nauseous. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if needed.

Then after a 12 hour food fast to decrease the symptoms of stomach upset you can feed them a bland diet for the next couple of days. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken or lean boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. Feed small meals frequently.

If you do notice a very rapid heart rate (more than 160 beats per minute in a small dog) repetitive tremors or seizures then he should be seen by a veterinarian on an emergency basis for treatment. They can use injectable medications to control his heart rate and stop the seizures until the toxic levels fall.

Best of luck with your pups, let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****