Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We have a 4 year old dachshund that we found to be paralyzed

Customer Question
last week. She has...
We have a 4 year old dachshund that we found to be paralyzed last week. She has no movement in her hind legs. Vet did X-rays and said 3 disc are gone..have done 7 laser treatments since. we have seen no improvements with movement. we have kept her confined to a kennel. How long should these laser treatments continue? What is the likelihood it will help? she is out of pain as that was my biggest concern.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/12/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry to hear of this with Lucy. This is what you need to know:

The most important prognostic indicator is the presence or absence of nociception‭ (‬deep pain perception‭) ‬in‭ Lucy's legs‬.‭ ‬This assessment is always subjective but apparent loss of sensation suggests the possibility for permanent paralysis regardless of treatment.‭ ‬Approximately‭ ‬50%‭ ‬of dogs in this condition recover with decompressive surgery.

Approximately‭ ‬90-97%‭ ‬of dogs with intact nociception,‭ ‬even if they're paraplegic or tetraplegic recover fully or nearly fully with surgical decompression.‭ ‬However,‭ ‬the time frame for recovery is extremely variable‭ ‬-‭ ‬a few days to many weeks or months.

With nonsurgical treatment (laser, steroids, e.g.) about‭ ‬85%‭ ‬of ambulatory dogs and‭ ‬50%‭ ‬of non-ambulatory‭ (‬but retaining pain perception‭) ‬dogs ultimately recover but recovery can be quite protracted‭ ‬-‭ ‬weeks to months.

Do you know if nociception remains?

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucy. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian