Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog was t by a car tonight. She was bleeding from the

Customer Question
My dog was hit by...
My dog was hit by a car tonight. She was bleeding from the mouth. But now it's a little bit. Het right side is swollen but I don't have the money right now to take her in. What can I do at home and how can I keep get out of pain
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/12/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Aspirin is a safe analgesic when dosed at 10 mg/lb with food twice daily. Acetaminophen is safe at 7 mg/lb thrice daily but isn't an antiinflammatory drug as is aspirin. You must avoid both ibuprofen and naproxen both of which are toxic to dogs. You need to watch for bleeding from any orifice and an increased respiratory rate over 40 breaths/minute which might indicate bleeding into her chest cavity. May I have an update on her, please?

She's not eating or drinking. I don't know how I can get aspirin in her. Is there anything I can get for her at the tractor supply store? She's so pitiful.

I must admit that she looks miserable. Aspirin should help but I would prefer that such a patient be administered a more potent analgesic in the form of a narcotic. Do you have such a drug at home? The tractor supply store doesn't carry anything of value for her.

What type of narcotic?

Hydrocodone, oxycodone, morphine, e.g.

No I don't.

Dissolve the aspirin in water and administer it with an eyedropper or small poultry baster placed between her cheek teeth and cheek. Repeat at 12 hour intervals. Keep me posted, please.

Ok thanks a bunch.

You're welcome. My best to your dog.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian