Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My vet is closed I think my dog has an eye infection can I

Customer Question

my vet is closed I think my dog has an eye infection can I use a fluorometholone
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow Afro has matter collecting in his eyes, thus you are concerned about an eye infection and that you would like to help him.

I do not recommend using Fluorometholone because it is is a steroid eye drop medication. Steroids should not be used in the eyes without staining the eyes first to make sure he does not have a scratch or ulcer on them. Steroids will slow healing and could cause a scratch or ulcer to worsen.

For now I would warm compress his eyes to remove matter stuck around the eyes, and then flush them thoroughly with sterile saline. Then you can use artificial tears to soothe his eyes every 3-4 hours.

If there is a yellow or greenish colored discharge you can apply Polysporin ointment (available at the drug store) to his eyes once they have been cleaned and flushed and he has had artificial tears applied. Apply a 1 inch line of Polysporin ointment to his eyes every 6-8 hours. Use for 3-4 days past any evidence of green or yellow colored discharge.

If he isn't improving then he needs to see his veterinarian, do stop both medications for 24 hours before his appointment so they can accurately measure his levels of tear production.

A possible cause of eye irritation is allergies, which make his face very itchy, and when he rubs his face he accidentally irritates his eyes and the area around them and may introduce bacteria into his eyes.

If the hair around his eyes is long (likely in this breed) or we have abnormally positioned eyelashes that can cause wicking of his tears onto his face or increased irritation from eyelashes rubbing his eye leading to excessive tearing and matter forming. You often cannot see the abnormally positioned eyelashes without a bright light and magnifying loop but your veterinarian should be able to see them with their equipment.

The other possibility is that he has entropian, which is a rolling in of his eyelid, or ectropian, which is a saggy eyelid. If he has entropian this will cause his eyelid and eyelashes to rub on his eye leading to increased tearing and thus increased staining.

The dog in the link below has entropian. Notice that the lower lid is rolled and thick whereas the upper lid you can see the eyelashes and it sits neatly against the eye.

http://www.justanswer.com/view_image.aspx?href=http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmk1QrDF-t9B3iHu9G3XIGZfIlekBUKniC7nLYHJufkGTkFY19tc75mqXL

If he has ectropian then the lid won't function normally and dust and dirt collect in the eye leading to irritation and increased tearing. The dog in the link below has ectropian. Notice the saggy bottom eyelids that don't fit neatly on the eye. http://www.justanswer.com/view_image.aspx?href=http://www.mypetsdoctor.com/wp-content/upLoads/heartworm9.jpg

If he isn't improving I would have your veterinarian take a look at him and try to determine the cause. They can check tear production and also check for abnormal eyelashes (distichiasis) or whether his eyelids aren't sitting properly against his eye.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Afro. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara