Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

MY DOG ANNIE ( LAB-13.5 YRS OLD) HAS A NOTICEABLE LIMP ON

Customer Question

MY DOG ANNIE (WHITE LAB-13.5 YRS OLD) HAS A NOTICEABLE LIMP ON HER RIGHT SIDE-FRONT AND BACK. ALSO HAS PAIN OR WANTS TO SCRATCH HER CHEST ON THE RIGHT SIDE
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I can answer your questions this evening.

It sounds like Annie has two different problems that you are asking about- limping and itchy skin.

First for the limping- the most common cause of lameness in old dogs is arthritis. This is treatable with a variety of medications that your regular veterinarian can prescribe. There are not really any effective pain medications over-the-counter for dogs and many of them are poisonous. Other causes include cancer, torn ligaments in the knees and elbows, and blown disks in the back.

For the itchy skin- it could be allergies, a wound, or something deep under the skin that is painful like a rib injury or tumor. A thorough examination is necessary to determine the cause of the itchiness.

What other questions do you have? How else can I help?

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Annie this evening? Is she still limping? How is her itchy skin? Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. A