Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My 16 year old Westie has an AST of 720, ALT OF 3189, ALK of

Customer Question

My 16 year old Westie has an AST of 720, ALT OF 3189, ALK of 1415 and a CPK of 1604. My vet wants to do IV of antibiotics and ultra sounds and chemo, etc, etc, etc. My poor dog is week, stares with his head down, won't eat and just seems miserable. Finances are a consideration. What does all of this mean?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry to hear about Grady.

Well, all of the liver enzymes are exceedingly high. However, the liver enzymes only tell us about liver damage, they don't indicate what would be impacting the liver.

I do agree, that these values are very high and that Grady should be hospitalized. But, with finances an issue, I can understand if that is not possible. AT the minimum, I believe doing the ultrasound is critical. Don't worry about treatment and chemotherapy yet. Just focus on getting that ultrasound done quickly as it may be able to give some good clues as to what is going on with the liver and gallbladder.

Unfortunately, these are very serious numbers, and I would not recommend trying a wait and see approach. I also can understand the vets suggestin to start antibiotics as well. Right now, I would say the prognosis for Grady isn't great because of how high are the enzyme values.

The ultraosund would really help to know more so you can make some next decisions, even if that have to includes euthanasia.

Very sorry that Grady is not doing well but I hope that information helps

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I should add that starting chemotherapy is not even an option. There is no defintiive diagnosis of cancer causing what is going on. There are also gallbladder problems, infections, and inflammatory diseases that can impact the liver. But, the ultrasound would be a good next step.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Grady. How is everything going?