Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog has been diagnosed with beginning stages of kidney

Customer Question

My dog has been diagnosed with beginning stages of kidney failure. He eats people food, because he wont eat dry or canned dog food. He is getting extremely skin, bad breath and skin problems. Is there really anything I can do to slow the process?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Possibly. How old is your Shar Pei, please? Has he been diagnosed with Shar Pei fever which can cause renal amyloidosis? Can you upload a copy of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com.