How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 28525
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ingested a brownie with marijuana in it. He had a

Customer Question

My dog ingested a brownie with marijuana in it. He had a rough night with severe hiccups and twitching of his limbs.
Better this a.m. But doesn't walk very steadily. Seems better but won't move off the sofa.
Obviously, is stressful for me as well as him. What to do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Thankfully it's almost impossible to seriously overdose a dog with THC. Supportive care - antiemetic therapy if vomiting persists, supplemental fluids if water can't be retained due to vomiting and/or anorexia, warming of the body to counter the expected hypothermia, and atropine if bradycardia (slow heart rate) is worrisome - is provided. Tremors are controlled with diazepam at a low dose. Clancy's eating this morning is a positive prognostic sign. There's no reason to treat him in any manner. He's going to have a nice rest now and I expect a full recovery over the next 36 hours. I've seen some dogs remain symptomatic for up to 4 days after ingesting more THC than Clancy ingested in that brownie.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Related Dog Veterinary Questions